You may wash your hair almost everyday but are you doing it right? Washing your hair the right way can make all the difference when it comes to optimum hair health - not to mention the bounce and shine you achieve. Even the savviest of us are making mistakes when it comes to washing our hair and damaging our locks without even knowing.
But never fear, Treat Your Skin is here with a handy guide that’ll have you lathering up the correct way and will see hair health recover in days.
1. Always rinse first. You’ve got to make sure that your hair is thoroughly wet before you even begin to add shampoo. Applying hot water first will open the cuticle’s which in turn is excellent for ensuring that all the dirt and product build up is removed. It also loosens the oils throughout the scalp which means that the open cuticles can easily absorb the oil.
2. If you have long hair then do everything backwards. So we all know that the correct order is rinse, shampoo and THEN condition, but if you’ve got long locks you may want to start with conditioning first. If your hair extends past your shoulders then you’ll need to protect the ends from drying out, this can be achieved by popping a small amount of conditioner through the ends and lightly rinsing before applying the shampoo. It’ll make your hair smoother and shinier - promise.
3. Only lather the scalp. The only place you really need to shampoo your hair is at the scalp - particularly the nape. Always lather from roots to ends since the hair closest to the scalp is the youngest and therefore the oiliest.
4. Don’t get rough. Friction can cause permanent damage to those cuticles, which leads to breaking and frizz. As we’ve suggested, start your lather at the roots to increase the blood flow to the scalp and stimulate hair growth.
5. Use vertical strokes. No matter how many times you’ve seen it on shampoo adverts, do not use circular motions when washing your hair. Instead use a straight stroking motion.
6. You only need to do it once. Ignore the back of the bottle, you don’t need to rinse and repeat - ever. By shampooing more than once you’re effectively stripping the hair - no good for condition or colour.
7. Be careful where you apply your conditioner. Once you’ve been through the shampoo and rinse process be sure to squeeze any excess water out of your hair before applying conditioner. Only apply the conditioner from the mid-lengths to the tips as your natural oil is more concentrated near the scalp (and you don’t want greasy hair moments after you’ve washed it). Make sure that you leave your conditioner on for a decent about of time as the longer its on, the better it absorbs.
8. Always finish with a cold rinse. Cold water will close those cuticles back up locking in all the good oils. It’ll also give you shiny hair.
So there you have it, the best way to wash your hair.